The story of The Woman’s Club of West Covina begins November 16th, 1956 when twelve neighbors decided they could do more, help the community, and help other Women find a place to call home, create better friendships, and support each other in all their efforts. A few months later, on March 28th, 1957, the club joined the Federation of Women’s clubs. Since that time, and with the help of the last remaining Charter member, Louise Crouse, the club has continued to grow in size and in humanitarian service. A few of the many projects we engage in include:
- · Scholarships and Youth Leadership programs
- · Conservation through Penny Pines
- · Troopon and Ontario USO
- · YWCA WINGS program
- · Friends of West Covina K-9
The club is affiliated with: San Gabriel Valley District Federation of Women’s Clubs, the California Federation of Women’s Clubs; and, the General Federation of Women’s Clubs.
The motto of the California Federation is “Strength United is Stronger”, chosen because it best portrays how our clubs work together. The goals of the CFWC include (1) Building leaders and Training volunteers, (2) Providing service to those in need, (3) Active advocacy in legislation, (4) Encouraging enrichment programs for members, and (5) creating opportunities for volunteerism. For more information about the California Federation of Women’s Clubs visit www.cfwc.org.
The General Federation Motto, “Unity in Diversity” emphasizes our ability to use the diversity of our backgrounds to work toward a unified vision and purpose. Historic accomplishments include (1) Founding more than 75 percent of our nations’ libraries, (2) Developing kindergarten programs in public schools, (3) Working for food and drug regulation, and (4) Leading the drive for emergency relief support. For more information about the General Federation of Women’s Clubs, visit www.GFWC.org
COLORS: Green and Gold
FLOWER: Orange Blossom
ORGANIZED: November 16, 1956
FEDERATED: March 28, 1957
INCORPORATED: December 18, 1959
The California Federation of Woman's Clubs
The General Federation of Woman's Clubs
The emblem of the California Federation of Women’s Clubs was designed by Miss Bernice Scoville.
The emblem is the insignia of a common cause and creates a spirit of cooperation among those who wear it.
The torch represents the educational work of the Federation and invites all to knowledge of the principles of American Citizenship. The wings pointed upward are symbolic of the higher thoughts and aspirations which are the aim of all. The band encircling both typifices the unbroken chain of strength and loyalty—loyalty not only to the clubs, but also to our State.